Publication: Johnsen Publishing Company, 1963, Lincoln
First edition. This is number 551 of the limited, signed edition. A separate note on the publisher's stationery advises that the author died on the eve of publication and members of his family have provided the publisher with signatures from Mr. Holmes' papers, and one is attached to this volume. 8vo. Pictorial blue cloth, titles stamped in gold gilt on the spine, , 108 pp., preface, acknowledgments, illustrated, appendices, maps, bibliography, index. Front cover and facing page 97, are illustrations by Frederic Remington. "Fort McPherson, Nebraska was first established in October 1863 in Cottonwood Canyon to protect the Overland Trail between Fort Kearny and Julesburg, Colorado. It was first known as Cantonment McKean, but was changed to Fort Cottonwood when construction began. However, it was soon moved closer to the town of Maxwell, Nebraska. It was renamed Fort McPherson on February 26, 1866, to honor General James B. McPherson, who had fallen while fighting with General William T. Sherman against the Confederate forces in the battle for Atlanta. The main activities of the fort during its 17 years of activity, were escorting stagecoaches and emigrant wagon trains; pursuing and punishing Indians for depredations; and protecting the mail and the telegraph lines. Fort McPherson played an important role in the Indian Wars from 1864 until its abandonment in 1880. Numerous important campaigns and expeditions were launched from the fort including that of General Eugene Carr which culminated in the defeat of the Cheyenne Indians at the Battle of Summit Springs. Buffalo Bill Cody, the North Brothers, and the Pawnee Scouts all served at Fort McPherson during this period. Lieutenant Colonel George A. Custer led the 7th Cavalry from Fort McPherson on June 15th, 1867 for operations against Indians in Kansas." Lightly rubbed at spine ends and corners, else a very good copy.
Inventory Number: 32228